|During the third trimester of pregnancy swelling of feet and lower legs is the standard problem that affects almost 90 percent of the pregnant women. This condition is also called edema.
Causes of swelling during pregnancy time
- Increase in the blood volume
- High intake of sodium and caffeine
- Long standing periods
- Low levels of potassium in diet
- High levels of uric acid in the blood
Home Remedies of swelling during pregnancy
- Barley water is a good diuretic that assists in reducing the swelling.
- Boil some tablespoons of coriander seed in two cups of water. Stop boiling when the liquid is decreased to one cup.
- It’s best to rest with the feet up after small intervals of time.
- Keeping the feet under running cold water for 10-15 minutes before resting will offer relief from edema.
- Coffee and alcoholic drinks should be avoided as they dehydrate the body from necessary fluids
- Salty foods and snacks must also be avoided..
- A well balanced diet including all the necessary nutrients is highly beneficial.